Audio recording FAQs
Instructions on how to record and save audio depend on which device you are using. We’ve listed a few examples below. Please note that at present you are only able to upload audio files via a computer.
For the best results, make sure you are somewhere quiet where there is no background noise.
Recording audio on a Windows computer
- Make sure you have an audio input device, such as a microphone, connected to your computer.
- Click Start, click All Programs, Accessories, and then Sound Recorder. Or in the search box, enter sound recorder, and in the list of results click Sound Recorder. (In Windows 8, type “sound recorder” while on the Start screen and select Sound Recorder from the search results. Sound Recorder will not open if you do not have a microphone attached to your computer).
- Start recording. In the Sound Recorder window, click Start Recording (the button with the red dot).
- Read your chosen passage. The green bar will move back and forth to let you know it’s capturing the recording.
- You can record up to 60 seconds of sound with Sound Recorder. If you want to record more, you will need to use audio recording software such as Audacity. For more information about Audacity, see the useful links below.
- Stop recording. Click the Stop Recording button (the black square) to stop recording. This will automatically bring up the option to save the recording.
- Save the recording to a location where you can easily find it again later.
- Attach your audio file to our form. Acceptable audio file formats are .wma, .mp3, .wmv, .m4a, .m4p, .wav, .aiff, .msv, .mpc.
For information on recording audio via a Mac, see the useful links section below.
Recording audio on an iPhone or iPad
Using iOS 7
- Tap on the Voice Memo icon, which is a picture of sound waves.
- Press the large red button when you would like to start recording.
- When you would like to stop recording, press the same button again, where there should now be a red square.
- Press the red button again to add onto the audio clip, or click “Done” to finish and save the voice memo.
- Type in a title for the voice memo and click “OK”.
Using iOS 6 or earlier
- Press the home button, which can be found on the bottom of the device. This may either exit your program, or, if you are already on the home-screens area, may take you to the default installed-apps Home screen. If the second, press the Home button once again.
- Tap the “Voice Memo” app button. Tap the “Red” circle/button. This will start recording your note.
- Speak into your device. .
- Tap the button on the right side of the volume-level area to stop your recording. The button should have only one square box inside it (not two smaller rectangular boxes).
- Tap the left-hand button (once you’ve started to record a note) to pause the memo.
- You will then need to email the audio file to your computer, ready to upload.